We had a giant yellow sticker on our old rotary phone. It listed several numbers including the police, hospital, fire department, poison control and, for some reason, a number to get the local weather report. The problem wasn’t just with our phone. In some cities, like Los Angeles, there were 50 different numbers for calling local police. That would be a really big sticker.

In 1967, the President’s Commission on Civil Disorders (PCCD) directed the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) who then turned to the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (ATT) to fix the problem. Nothing like having some government and corporate alphabet soup to get the job done. Having recently created the 4-1-1 system for information, the researchers at ATT changed one digit and created the 9-1-1 system. Today 99% of the public in America can call 9-1-1 in the event of emergency. Hopefully, the other 1% still have their big stickers.

Knowing what to do in an emergency is vital. Joshua and the people of Israel faced an emergency on the order of a national crisis, all created by the sin of one man. Knowing what to do was vital. This Sunday, we will learn what the Bible tells us to do when we face the crisis of sin (Joshua 7:10-13).

See you Sunday!

Hear this message at NHBC Media

Don’t forget – join us in our 6:00 PM service Sunday, July 15 for a presentation of Flying Blind a video and message from Franklin Graham. You can find out more here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *